The paginated report provides most of its extensive feature to premium capacities which most of the common Power BI developer does not have. But recently it supports the feature of consuming Power BI datasets from the non-premium capacities for developing the paginated report.
To start developing a report with paginated reports,
1. Create a new Power BI Dataset connection by right-clicking on Datasource and select “Add Power BI Dataset Connect”
2. Select the dataset from the list of datasets available in Power BI service. In the recent release, you can also see the dataset endorsement state.
3. Create a new dataset by right-clicking on Datasets, select new Dataset. The Dataset Properties will be available to select the data source for creating the dataset. Select the data source and click on Query Designer option to open the designer window.
4. Query Designer window appears with the list of dimensions and measures. Select the dimension by drag it to the centre area. And click on the execute the query to see the output. The filter can also be applied in the top pane by selecting the dimension and the filter operation.
5. Click ok after designing the dataset and proceed with developing the report.
6. Publish the report to the Premium capacity workspace in Power BI service.
- Power BI Datasets with Live connection will not be available for developing Paginated reports. Instead, Live connection can be consumed directly through Azure Analysis Service connector in paginated reports.
- The Paginated report cannot be published back to the non-premium capacity workspace in the Power BI service.
Know more about Microsoft Power BI services offerings from Visual BI solutions here.