Have you ever wondered why we should be upgrading the existing BW system to BW/4HANA? Well, this blog will highlight a few of the major advantages that you will get on moving to BW/4HANA. SAP BW/4HANA is the next generation of SAP BW which runs only on SAP HANA, which utilises SAP HANA libraries and engines.
SAP BW/4HANA Deployment Options
With BW/4HANA, you get the flexibility of using cloud deployment. SAP BW/4HANA comes in three variants and based on the Business need you can choose the deployment option:
- On-premise deployment: Use your own infrastructure, customize and extend the solution with complete control of your environment.
- Cloud approach: SAP BW/4HANA can be deployed via managed cloud offerings such as SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud (HEC), Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Microsoft Azure. Users (with a little help from their BI and IT friends) can spin up SAP BW/4HANA in these managed cloud environments quickly and with minimal up-front costs.
- Hybrid (cloud and on-premise): Hybrid (cloud and on-premise) option that offers the best of both the worlds: the flexibility and agility to rapidly setup and dismantle short term projects or programs, PoCs or training environments in the cloud without spending much on infrastructure, whilst at the same time providing enterprises that have the majority of their systems internally hosted, to exercise greater control over their sensitive and business-critical data.
Modelling made simple
In the previous version of BW, a developer has to alternate between HANA Studio and GUI for developing, with the advent of BW/4HANA, we get a new State of Art BWMT, wherein starting from modelling of Data Providers, Virtual Providers, Data Sources, Dataflows, Queries etc can all be done at one place. With the invent of BW/4HANA, the life of modellers is made simple.
- A number of data objects will be reduced – (Modelling object types: 10->4 and source system types: 7->3, 1 for Big Data). The Simplification list can be found here, which helps you to map the old BW Objects with new ones.
Data Flow Objects
- The data flow object is a way to model your dataflow including transformations Info packages and DTPs within the Eclipse world.
- It is a graphical feature which also enables you to create a dataflow from start to finish, thereby giving a holistic picture of how data flows for a Functional Area.
- All created objects e.g., Data source, ADSOs, Info Objects etc are available for re-use within other dataflows, and it’s transportable.
- Another benefit is the feature of being able to add documentation to the objects used.
Eclipse-based Query editor
- BeX a Query Designer will become obsolete.
- BW Query provides a new, improved, well integration of BW data modelling in one single tool, which means it is a one-stop place to create BW data models and Queries.
- BW/4HANA models can be exposed as native HANA Views, which can be used by customers to build their own HANA models on top of the BW/4HANA models to implement additional business logic, thereby leveraging virtualization, and minimising data redundancy.
- Smart Integration of external data virtually, in batch-mode or real-time.
Big Data Integration
- New Big Data source system and spark SQL adapter for data integration scenarios with Hadoop.
SAP BW/4HANA Cockpit
BW/4HANA provides an additional Web-based user interface that is available with an SAP Fiori launchpad. The cockpit is the central point for an administrator with a host of capabilities like;
- Maintenance of Process Chains and its Variants
- Process Chain Monitor Dashboard, which could be used for monitoring
- Notifications of process chain that has failed
- Administration of Info Objects and ADSO
- Web-based master data maintenance
- More simplified search capabilities
- More stats on data volume and selection
LSA++ that is optimised for HANA
Most of the existing data flow in SAP BW can—and should—be simplified in SAP BW/4HANA by leveraging LSA++ principles and by its ability to access data directly in the staging/propagation layer without compromising performance.
- Reduction of redundancy
- Reduced Data footprint
- Virtual access
BI Content Revamp
It follows LSA++ Architecture and delivered content offers more flexibility in data acquisition and reporting. Check here for the list of BW/4 HANA Content available
- Content for business areas – Sales & Distribution, Asset Management, Quality Management, Finance, Controlling, Supply chain Management, Master Data Governance, Real Estate
- Staging / Corporate Memory Layer modelled as field-based advanced DSOs
- Business transformation modelled in the transformation between Info Source and Integrated DWH Layer
- Reporting on Composite Providers based on advanced DSOs
- Virtual data mart layer reduces persistence
- Data Flows delivered for all Content areas
- All objects are HANA optimised models and hence enables push down of logic to HANA
- Faster Data Loading and Querying
Data Tiering Optimization
DTO helps you to data as either hot, warm or cold at the level of an ADSO. Depending on this classification and how the data is used, the data is stored in different storage areas.
- Introduction of storing Warm Data is stored in Extension Nodes, which is a unified part of the SAP HANA Database, but with lower cost
- Cold data can be transferred to Near Line Storage like SAP IQ or Hadoop, externally
- DTO can be maintained at the level of ADSO
- Process Type “Adjust Data Tiering” can be used to Automated adjustment of DTO temperature change
- Process Type “Data temperature Delete” for deletion of data from the cold store
- Enhance volume and statics monitoring based on CDS views
- State-of-the-art UX in BusinessObjects BI Clients of BusinessObjects Cloud replacing Bex.
- Expose BW/4HANA models as native HANA Views to be consumed in visualization tools like BusinessObjects cloud or Lumira.
- Operations and calculations on details level can be pushed down to HANA, resulting in superior performance.
- HANA-specific libraries processed in the HANA platform can be leveraged.
- Millions of lines of ABAP code is made obsolete with B4HANA.
Know more about Visual BI Solutions SAP BW Services offerings here.