You can create links between dimensions in multiple models which come from different connections.
Linked dimensions can be used to create blended charts that display data from multiple models. Linked dimensions also allow you to create filters that simultaneously update all charts that include linked data. Filters on linked dimensions can be used at the story, page, and linked analysis level.
You use several data sources in a workbook and any action performed on a dimension affects the same dimension in other data sources in the same way. By default, the ID attribute is used to match members between the linked dimensions.
Here in this blog, we will see how to link two models from different connections. This story contains two models, one is a live connection whereas the other is non-live connection.
Model 1: SAP BW connection
- Create a model with non-live connection as shown below
- Select a query
- Drag required dimensions and click on Dimension Presentation. Select ‘KEY’ and ‘TEXT’ of the dimension.
- The ID attribute is used to match members between the linked dimensions.
- The attributes of a dimension must match the attributes of the dimension it is linked to:
- Save the above model.
Model 2: Live connection
- Create another model with non-live connection as shown below
- Choose a live connection from system
- Select a data source and save the Live Model
- Configure the Model
- Open the story and select Edit.
- Open the Link Dimensions dialog. There are two ways to access the dialog:
- Select (Link Dimensions) from the menu bar. (All linked dimensions used in the story will be listed. To create a new link select Start a new model link.)
- Select a chart. In the Builder tab, expand the Data Source list. Select (Link Models).
The Link Dimensions dialog appears.
- In the Data area in the toolbar, select (Edit Prompts) and select Link Variables.
- Select a model from the list of models included in your story, or select Add Model to search through the models you have access to.
- Choose one or more dimensions.
- As shown above, two tables for live and non-live data sources are created along with a filter panel. (The attribute of a dimension must match the attribute of the dimension it is linked to, or when a filter is created, information may not be returned.)
- Link dimensions between both models
- Select the type of link.
- By default, the link option is a Join but you can update the link option to use an Union instead.
- Select Set.
- Table data is filtered due to dimension linked. As shown below.
Linked dimensions appear in the dialog. For more details on Linked Dimensions or Data Blending, please refer to https://www.sapanalytics.cloud/blending-datasets/. Get your business users trained on more best practices of SAP Analytics Cloud. Want to know more? Click here to get in touch.